Seiten

Montag, 2. August 2010

I'm a DaddyGamer

Thursday, July 31, 2008 2:40 PM by johnporcaro

I’m a Daddy Gamer…
One of the great things about having a blog is that it offers us each a place to give our opinions, and hopefully in a way that allows us to show that we’re more than corporate robots. Most of you reading posts from this blog understand that we’re employees of a corporation, but we’re also members of the gaming community. Because of that, we’re going to agree on some things, disagree on others, like some things, and dislike others. I think it’s what makes our community great.
As a community team, we get to participate in the communities we love: Tony, Chris and Sara live and breathe harcore gaming, Nelson is the poster child for mainstream gamers, and I get to play both mainstream gamer and Daddy-gamer both at home, and at work. Sometimes, we offer our opinions about things we like, or don’t like, to people who are like us. And as a team, we’ve committed to being honest, authentic, and never say something we don’t mean.
Funny thing is, some of the things I once questioned have grown on me. When I first heard the concept of GamerScore, it didn’t appeal to me—to my style of gameplay. I’m not competitive, I won’t play something I don’t think is fun. Before the Xbox 360 launched, I usually played without signing in at all. Fast forward a few years, and I’m playing hours longer than usual, just to get a few Achievement Points so my GamerScore isn’t the lowest on our team (see the sidebar of the blog).
When I first saw a demo of the new Xbox experience, I immediately felt drawn to it.

Because I’m such a visual person, the style appealed to me. I love the idea of browsing my game library visually, and getting information about new games or PDLC in such a visual way.

I like the idea of MMOGSGs (massively-multiplayer-online-game-show-games, my own made-up term for live server-based games), though it drives my wife crazy when I watch 1 vs. 100 and run the statistics after every decision.
I really love the Party System, so I can hang out with my friends or family through several experiences, or chat as I walk through a slideshow of my photos with them (they may not love seeing 300 pictures of our latest weekend outing, but that's another issue).
Because I have four “pre-teen” kids (and I can’t handle watching Camp Rock one more time), I love being able to watch a variety of NetFlix movies on my Xbox 360. In fact, I already have Windows Media Center hooked up to NetFlix, so I can watch movies on my Xbox 360, but the new Xbox experience will make it even more seamless.
I like the idea of Avatars. As I spend time with the developers, I sense the passion they have for every new feature, and I caught the vision they have for extending someone’s persona online. I’m a Facebook junkie, because it allows me to present myself to my community in such a personal way, and learn so much about my friends. So I really like the idea of a persistent, visual presence, that I can customize from day to day. It seems like it’s going to hit the sweet spot between being too cute and being too realistic. Avatars should say something about me, in a fun, personal way, but not be so serious I have to spend hours tweaking to get it right.
For more about the new Xbox experience, check out an article that was published today by Dean Takahashi, of an interview with John Schappert, where the Xbox LIVE VP describes more about the new Xbox experience.
"VB: What was the thinking behind the changes to the (newly announced) Xbox Live dashboard interface? It’s your biggest change to what gamers see on the console since you introduced the Xbox 360 in 2005.

JS: We’re happy with the “blade” metaphor that we used in the original Xbox 360 interface. It was the first video game box where you could turn it on and enjoy games right from the hard drive through Xbox Live Arcade. You could buy games on Marketplace. As we added more and more content, it became more difficult to navigate. As we added more features — video marketplace, instant messaging, and video chat – we started to think of where we wanted to go in the future. We wanted to have it be more fun, simpler to use, easier to navigate, and more social. We wanted to think about features like Netflix. We have 20 million people now. They enjoy playing “Call of Duty 4,” “Halo 3″ and “Gears of War.” When we think of the next 20 million, they may enjoy those games but they also might enjoy a different level of experience. What we hoped we accomplished is an interface that the core will enjoy – because of its visual style, better search, more functionality — and more appealing and inviting for the new users buying our console. To me it is part of the puzzle. It’s about approachability, it’s about content, and it’s about price. We will go after all of those areas aggressively.


VB: What was the genesis of the Xbox Live avatars you introduced at the show?

JS: We are all gamers ourselves and we’ve enjoyed our own avatars in a multitude of games. We have had achievements on Xbox Live from day one. We’ve had gamer scores. We’ve had the (single identification) gamertag. People have their own web sites with XML links to our data. To me, avatars are a logical extension to give us countless ways to personalize our own styles. It’s not like we are using avatars to recreate the perfect human body. And it’s not too cutesy. It’s in the middle. It dresses up the core first-person shooter, who can be edgy. And the more casual player can dress up to look friendly."

Keine Kommentare: